Saturday, April 30, 2011

Brick to: Vista for easy but hidden fix to: "no audio output device installed"

My Vista Lenovo lost its audio entirely one day.  Months later, I began the process to fix it.  After much fussing around with drivers and the like, I saw the simple fix:
Go to control panel, hardware and sound, manage audio devices.  There I saw the culprit message: "no audio output device installed".

Again, after much fussing, I realized that I could right click on that screen. There I would see a menu that offered to "show disabled devices" and "show disconnected devices".  By tabbing those on, my audio drivers reappeared. I enabled them with right clicks and tested them immediately on that screen with a right click.  All was well.

Simple fix. Nearly impossible to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget